Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mission Antarctica & Lalit Bhanot's memorable moment

Amid all the cynicism about the CWG, here’s some refreshing news. Pappu, a resident of New Delhi, will embark on a marathon run from New Delhi to Antarctica, to commemorate the beginning of the CWG games. Aptly, he’ll reach Antarctica on 3rd October 2010, the date when the opening ceremony for the games commences. He said he was doing this to create awareness about Kalmadi-flu, the latest epidemic break in Delhi. About why he chose Antarctica, he says that’s the farthest he can get from Delhi.

Ask him what inspired him to go on this run, and he gets all excited. “I always wanted to be a social worker. Giving back to the society had always been at the back of my mind. Hearing about my initiative, several others have also started running to different parts of the world from Delhi. I’m very happy I’ve been a role model for several others.” Meanwhile it has been learnt that he’ll be welcomed in Antarctica by other wise Delhites, who chose to flee to Antarctica way back in 2006, when the successful bid was announced.

What motivates him to run farther? Replies Pappu – “I just switch on the TV or read the newspaper about the Games preparations and falling bridges. I get this sudden burst of energy, and I start practicing running out of Delhi.”

Mention Lalit Bhanot, and he turns nostalgic. “Lalit uncle is very sweet. Not very tech-savvy, but yes, very sweet. Once he was peeing in my neighborhood. Out of pity, I offered to let him use my toilet. Bhanot uncle’s eyes were full of tears and he said he wished even he had relatives abroad who would gift him a toilet bowls. He saw my toilet bowl and got all excited and exclaimed it was like being in a Hollywood movie set. Even today, uncle’s desk at CWG HQ has a photo-frame showing him sitting on the toilet bowl, showing thumbs-up sign. It still remains on of his most unforgettable moments.”

Before signing off, Pappu request all Indians to support and accommodate people of Delhi until the Games get over.

No comments:

Post a Comment